Friday, December 2, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree

Growing up finding a Christmas tree was the pinnacle of Thanksgiving weekend. I remember driving from one Allied tree lot to another looking for the perfect Christmas tree. This would take a full two days. Rain, snow, or sub-zero temperatures we would trudge out and drive from one end of the valley to another looking for a tree that would fit our needs.

Then came the year that for one reason or another I decided that I would start naming the trees we looked at. You have to give me a break- I was nine or ten and very silly. I named every tree I ran across that year. One of the saddest moments was when my then six-year- old brother decided that he needed to use the restroom thus ruling out Arthur as a family tree choice for the year.

As the years went by we changed our traditions. Instead of one tree we started getting three to put next to each other creating a forest. Then we started going to the forest service and cutting down our own trees. But the naming of the tree has always continued. I have cycled through many names. Names from literature, names of British monarchs, names from kids at school, and one year names from The Magic School Bus.

This year we started a new tradition. I love having a fresh cut tree in the house. Since I put the tree up so early I like having something that will last to the New Year. Christian likes the ease of going to the tree lot. This year we decided we would go to a tree farm.

This is the perfect idea for our family. It just works for us. So without further ado I introduce you to our tree...
He is a wonderful Spruce but he is a tad prickly. When I texted a picture to my dad the first thing he asked was "What's its name?"

Now here's the thing. I hadn't even thought of naming the tree yet. But my husband and kids left me alone with the tree so when they returned it did have a name. So I present to you....

Brem the Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment