Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas crafts



I have been rather neglectful of this blog the past few weeks. I have a list of things that I wanted to blog about but the madness of the season got to me and all the things that I wanted to blog about got left behind in the wake of the madness.

So here they are the Christmas crafts I did with the kids this month. I want a disclaimer out there that though I appear crafty, I only play one on this blog. In truth I can barely sew a straight line, wield a glue gun without burning my fingers, and drop so many knitting stitches that I have to get creative. So really these are easy crafts to do and require NO talent whatsoever.

1- Nativity Wreath
Okay so as a teacher I knew the greatness of Oriental Trading. I bought so many things from them- pencils, bouncy balls, toy cars. It is amazing what a 17 year old boy will do for a die cast car. As a mom I have found they have some great crafts for kids. We have tried several different items from them and each one has been a hit. This one I did by myself and then gave them to the kids to hang up. It was simple and easy and I only got one blister from the hot glue gun.

2- Friends gift
Another Oriental Trading find. It was a simple glue the sticks together and glue on the face. The snowman was supposed to have cheeks but I thought it was easier to put together without them. After putting them together I went to the store and found some awesome Christmas Push Pops and tied the pins on. The girls loved giving these out to their friends.

3- Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
I wanted an easy neighbor gift that the kids could help me with this year. In the past I have done fudge or caramel but both are hard to have kids help you with. So this time we went the pretzel route. The girls loved helping with these. They dipped them in the caramel then waited and dipped them in the chocolate. They also came baring sprinkles to add a bit of holiday cheer. Even James got into the fun. I was impressed that we were able to use all 5 lbs of caramel.

4- Chocolate covered Oreo's

I started making these last year and realized that I needed to get a lot better. This past Halloween I worked on my technique and started using multiple colors on the same mold to great success. This year I made these for James's preschool teachers and coupled them with a small Christmas mug and candle. These were so much fun to make and James was able to help. Expect more chocolate colored oreo's coming out of the Bradley kitchen in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment