Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Recipe- Apple Cake

For her birthday last month Eve declared she wanted an apple cake. I asked her if she had an apple cake before and she said no. I scoured the internet for a recipe and found a few but nothing seemed that it would be a good birthday cake. Eventually Eve decided that she would rather have an apple pie which was easier to manage.

Then last week I attended a Relief Society dinner and the dessert was an apple cake. I was there alone with the baby and was leaning towards heading home but I stayed to try this dessert and I was so glad that I did.

I have made it twice since then. It has been a hit with everyone and I have to say I could just eat the sauce by the spoonful.

So here it is the Apple cake-

Mix together-
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Then add-
4 cups of peeled and grated apples ( I found this was about four medium apples)
1/2 cup oil (you can substitute applesauce for this one too)
2 eggs well beaten
2 tsp vanilla

Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

For the sauce-
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup half and half
1 Tbsp of flour
1tsp vanilla

Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Let cook for two minutes.


For me the longest and hardest part of this was peeling and grating the apples. That took about 40 minutes after that it took 10 minutes to put together.

1 comment: