Sunday, February 26, 2012

Book review-Death Comes to Pemberly


I first read Pride and Prejudice when I was fourteen. I fell in love with Austen's world then. With the simplicity of every day life. With tea time and dinner time and balls! I even kinda liked the smug Mr. Darcy.

I have reread that book twenty or twenty-five times now. It is like coming home every time I open the well worn cover. I know the story doesn't change but each time I feel like I am reliving the story and falling it love with it all over again.

Like many people I have often wondered about Darcy and Elizabeth's fate. I have even picked up a few of the prequels and sequels others have written. The latest of these sequels is a mystery book that brings Death to Pemberly.

Basically it is the night before a big ball and low and behold Wickham and Lydia arrive on estate. There has been a murder in the woods and Wickham is soon charged with the death of his best friend Captain Denny. Though I loved the premise of the story the book just didn't do it for me. I felt there were gaping holes in the story. There was nothing that resembled the story I loved. Yes I know it was a murder mystery and it would be different but I expected the characters at least to be the same.

I just didn't buy the changes in characters like Fitzwallace or Darcy. I also didn't understand why there were so many ideas and plots and characters brushed on but not explored. I just felt like I was left wanting for more while characters are left by the wayside. It would have been a good mystery on its own but coupled with literary classic it left much to be desired.

2 comments:

  1. I just read this too. I haven't read any other P&P sequels but I didn't go into this expecting too much. No one could do it like Austen did. I did however enjoy it for what it was, a mystery.

    Which sequels are worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good sequels are hard to find. I like Mr. Darcy's Diary and Excessively Diverted.

      I however prefer Jane Austen Ruined my Life, The Dashwood Sisters Tell All, and Mr. Darcy Broke my Heart. I also like Austenland.

      Delete