Monday, September 3, 2012

Cookies!

It has been baking central here the past few days and cookies have been on the plate. This time I wanted to try something different and stumbled across a cookie site that I am excited about- Sally's Baking Addiction. I feel that Sally and I could be kindred spirits, she has so many great ideas and her cookies sound delicious. 

The first thing I tried was the Golden Oreo Truffles. 



This was a very simple recipe:
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 package of Golden Oreos, crushed
White chocolate for dipping (I just used white chocolate buttons)
Sprinkles

After crushing the Oreos ( I did mine with our mini food processor) combine them with the cream cheese and mix until you have a batter.  Then roll into one inch balls, you should get about 48. Then put them in the freezer for at least a half an hour. This was one of the moments I wish I had a bigger freezer than I do...and I have two freezers. However I made it work and the got nice a frozen.

While they are freezing follow the directions to melt the chocolate. Usually it is melt it in the microwave for a minute. Stir, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, repeat until the chocolate is melted.

Then take the balls out of the freezer and dip, I struggled with dipping it and couldn't find the right way to actually do it, but hey it worked. When you are finished put them back in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.

These things were so rich and so good. The recipe is also rather versatile and has me thinking of other ideas. Like oreos with mint chocolate or mint oreos with just chocolate or strawberry oreos with chocolate...oh the possibilities are endless.


Now growing up my favorite ice cream was Rocky Road, the problem was my dad is allergic to tree nuts and my mom is allergic to chocolate. With those two allergies it wasn't that often that I got rocky road ice cream and I changed my preference to strawberry instead.  When I stumbled across the recipe for rocky road cookies, I had to try them.

Again a very simple recipe-

3 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 extra large egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
2.5 ounces of slivered almonds (you can toast them if you want but I didn't)
1 cup mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add egg whites and vanilla and mix until batter is smooth.  Stir in chocolate chips and almonds. Using a medium cookie scoop place 12 cookies on the sheet and place 4-5 marshmallows on each cookie. Then place the cookie tray in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.   After bake them 12-13 minutes .

They are super chocolaty and oh so good.









1 comment:

  1. My obsession of the past year has been rocky road brownies. There's an actual recipe on EatingWell.com (just search for Rocky Road Brownies, or I can send you a link later), but basically they're just brownies with nuts and marshmallows and chocolate chips on top.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete