Tuesday, September 25, 2012

One short day

It is not often a mom gets a day off. Even on vacations there are still fighting children, poopy diapers, and nighttime wake ups.  So when Christian suggested that I take a day and go down to the fall Shakespeare Festival with the "Coco Ladies" I was all in.  After emails we were set and the four of us headed down to see one of my favorite plays- "Stones in His Pocket."

The Coco Ladies, so named by my husband, are a group of four friends who at one time all taught at Riverton High. We got together at least once a quarter at the local Starbucks to unwind for a few hours. Later those meetings became monthly and as most of us left Riverton for various other jobs the time to see each other became more dear.   

This was our first trip though and I have to admit I was nervous the night before. It had been ages since I had talked to another adult for such a long period of time, if I broke out into Blue's Clues songs would they still be my friends? What if I had nothing to say that didn't revolve around Matty's latest words or James' latest defiance at the dinner table? i don't know why I worried, though I think if I had broken out into a rousing chorus of "Mail Time" they might have looked at me funny. 

The trip was fabulous. The 3.5 hour drive seemed quick and conversation abounded. Then there was the trip to The Pastry Pub, a local favorite, where we had to sample the chocolate cake. Then we took a walk down Main Street before the play. Of course the play itself was incredible. It was preformed down at the Festival 7 years ago by my two favorite actors. These two actors returned for this performance.  The Festival several years ago surveyed the audience on what shows they should bring back (they usually only repeat the Shakespeares) and I filled out 10-20 ballots requesting this show. I had to laugh when they announced before that this was the most requested show on that ballot, I feel somewhat responsible for that and all of you who go and see it can thank me later.  Oh and I introduced everyone to the Festival favorite...tarts!

It was just a wonderful day.  A day free from cares and a day spent with dear friends.  


On the way home we stopped in Scipio and found the petting zoo in the gas station parking lot. 


Darlene introduced us to a great restaurant in Provo called Sparks. They had the BEST french fries I have ever tasted and some fun non-alcoholic drinks.Oh and for dessert a brownie float with ice cream and chocolate milk...yum.







While out we planned next year's trip...we might even be adventurous and try going both summer and fall.

It was such a wonderful day I was sad to see it end, but when Amy dropped me off at home I was reminded of a line from one of my favorite series-

 "Gilbert dear, it's been lovely to be Anne of Green Gables again, but it's a hundred times lovelier to come back and be Anne of Ingleside."

Thanks for the wonderful day ladies!


No comments:

Post a Comment