Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Try it Tuesday:Baby Towels

In my younger singler years when a family member or a friend announced a pregnancy I would whip out my knitting needles and within a month have a fun little baby sweater that would be delivered or mailed to the expectant mother. I loved knitting and it really only took me a few weeks of watching Doctor Who or Buffy to knock out a sweater. 

Then I got married and had kids. No longer were my evenings my own and though I loved the change my knitting time went to nearly nothing. In fact poor Matthew didn't even get a sweater until he was 18 month old  (I started it four months before he was born). I still wanted to give a homemade baby gift though and was at a loss of what to do.

Inspiration struck one day after getting Matty out of the bath, I wrapped him in a towel that a neighbor had made for us and that I loved. Here is the reason I loved it- it was big enough to wrap him in and the hood covered his whole head, not just part of it. After almost two years of use it has held up and it wasn't flimsy, it was a good thick towel.  I looked at how my neighbor had put Matty's together and made my own.  In fact I made five of them. I just wish I had taken pictures to walk you through the set up


So here is what you need:

2 wash clothes
1 towel
3 yards of ribbon


To make hood:

Sew together two sides of the wash clothes (thing of it as the top and back)
then sew some of the ribbon on to the front of your hood. I usually put it about two inches from the end.

To make hooded towel:
Sew the ribbon horizontal across the towel about four to five inches from the bottom. 
Attach the hood to the towel 





These are quick and easy shower gifts or just fun for your own little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment